BrickSpeed
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BrickSpeed

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Please Visit our new forum at http://forums.brickspeed.net

Ping, knock, detonation, and pre-ignition things that destroy your engine

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
BrickBaller

BrickBaller

Number of posts : 1665
Registration date : 2010-05-07

Ping, knock, detonation, and pre-ignition things that destroy your engine Empty
PostSubject: Ping, knock, detonation, and pre-ignition things that destroy your engine   Ping, knock, detonation, and pre-ignition things that destroy your engine EmptyTue May 25, 2010 12:44 pm

Excellent article on the difference between detonation (knock) and pre-ignition, what causes them, and what to watch out for. I highly reccommend this not only for the clueless but perhaps as a brush-up for those of you who know a bit more than I do.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
WolfDK
WolfDK

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2010-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Ping, knock, detonation, and pre-ignition things that destroy your engine   Ping, knock, detonation, and pre-ignition things that destroy your engine EmptyTue May 25, 2010 5:41 pm

BrickBaller wrote:
Excellent article on the difference between detonation (knock) and pre-ignition, what causes them, and what to watch out for. I highly reccommend this not only for the clueless but perhaps as a brush-up for those of you who know a bit more than I do.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thats a good article, lost the link a while back - Thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
Shifted
Super Moderator
Shifted

Number of posts : 2515

PostSubject: Re: Ping, knock, detonation, and pre-ignition things that destroy your engine   Ping, knock, detonation, and pre-ignition things that destroy your engine EmptyThu May 27, 2010 3:55 am

Required reading for someone turning up the boost, thanks for posting it.

cheers
Back to top Go down
GhengisKhan

Number of posts : 10

PostSubject: Re: Ping, knock, detonation, and pre-ignition things that destroy your engine   Ping, knock, detonation, and pre-ignition things that destroy your engine EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 10:16 am

I didn't catch this in the reading, but can detonation and pre-ignition happen while not in boost? For instance, while cruising on the highway? You're still "under load" so that makes me wonder is all...
Back to top Go down
badvlvo
badvlvo

Number of posts : 347

PostSubject: Re: Ping, knock, detonation, and pre-ignition things that destroy your engine   Ping, knock, detonation, and pre-ignition things that destroy your engine EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 12:09 pm

Yes, it can happen out of boost. NA cars can suffer from this as well as turbo or super-charged cars.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ping, knock, detonation, and pre-ignition things that destroy your engine   Ping, knock, detonation, and pre-ignition things that destroy your engine Empty

Back to top Go down

Ping, knock, detonation, and pre-ignition things that destroy your engine
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BrickSpeed :: Volvo Talk :: Performance-
Jump to: