BrickSpeed
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BrickSpeed

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Please Visit our new forum at http://forums.brickspeed.net

make your own timing marks

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Coupe' o Doom

Coupe' o Doom

Number of posts : 1902
Registration date : 2010-05-07

make your own timing marks Empty
PostSubject: make your own timing marks   make your own timing marks EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 2:41 pm

missing timing covers and need to tune? no problem.

step one: find a source of some carbon, like a handy exhaust pipe.
make your own timing marks Pictur16
Back to top Go down
Coupe' o Doom

Coupe' o Doom

PostSubject: Re: make your own timing marks   make your own timing marks EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 2:43 pm

step 2: find some self adhesive label paper with removable adhesive. smear the carbon onto the face of the timing gear and then stick the label paper to it, like so.
make your own timing marks Pictur17
Back to top Go down
Coupe' o Doom

Coupe' o Doom

PostSubject: Re: make your own timing marks   make your own timing marks EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 2:47 pm

step 3: peel off. oooh look what we have here, actual size impression complete with teeth!
make your own timing marks Pictur18
Back to top Go down
Coupe' o Doom

Coupe' o Doom

PostSubject: Re: make your own timing marks   make your own timing marks EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 2:51 pm

step 4: do the math. number the teeth or cheat and use some graph paper like i did. just remember this: the circle represents 720* of crank movement, and advance is clockwise from the mark, and retard is counterclockwise. you might notice some of those items pwning me in the following photos. Laughing
make your own timing marks Pictur19
Back to top Go down
Coupe' o Doom

Coupe' o Doom

PostSubject: Re: make your own timing marks   make your own timing marks EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 2:58 pm

cut out your little ghetto newly made degree wheel and glue it on the front of your cam gear. transfer the marks as you have them by punch through or cutting through (scribe) with x-acto knife. in my drawing there, it's numbered off and backward but i flipped it over and did it both ways.
make your own timing marks Pictur20
Back to top Go down
Coupe' o Doom

Coupe' o Doom

PostSubject: Re: make your own timing marks   make your own timing marks EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 3:00 pm

cinch down a piece of stiff wire under one of the valve cover bolts and pray it doesn't start a leak. mine didn't.
make your own timing marks Pictur21
Back to top Go down
Coupe' o Doom

Coupe' o Doom

PostSubject: Re: make your own timing marks   make your own timing marks EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 3:08 pm

now index your motor to TDC by hand, and make sure the indexes all appear where they are supposed to. you can string the crank to double check the cam index. now bend the stiff wire and line it up with the cam index, this is your TDC.
make your own timing marks Pictur22
those marks i made that were 10 actual degrees apart, represented 20* of crank timing. i later set it to just past halfway to the first mark clockwise from the index.

DONE!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: make your own timing marks   make your own timing marks Empty

Back to top Go down

make your own timing marks
Page 1 of 1