BrickSpeed
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BrickSpeed

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Please Visit our new forum at http://forums.brickspeed.net

Help me with a turbo swap/upgrade if you have time

Go down 
+2
WolfDK
BrickBaller
6 posters
AuthorMessage
BrickBaller

BrickBaller

Number of posts : 1665
Registration date : 2010-05-07

Help me with a turbo swap/upgrade if you have time Empty
PostSubject: Help me with a turbo swap/upgrade if you have time   Help me with a turbo swap/upgrade if you have time EmptyWed May 12, 2010 12:17 am

Car is a '91 745 B230FT with AW71. The stock TD04 (mitsu) decided to toss the exhaust turbine into the O2 sensor, so I figure I might as well throw a 15g on there.

Parts list:
15g from a 97+ 850 for the flat flange and the vband connector along with a few inches of DP to weld onto existing DP (still not 100% sure on how those dimensions will work out)

AC bracket to use for the WG bracket

Planning on using the 15g WG actuator with a MBC rather than the 13c actuator, unless I can find a T3 actuator...

new copper washers for oil, gaskets for water

O2 sensor

Turbo-manifold bolts/nuts

Need to:

Heat and bend the return line to clear WG actuator - holding off until I get a better picture.

Dismantle and reclock the 15g to fit, fabricate bracket for WG actuator

Cut a few inches off stock DP, weld on flat flange

Could it really be that simple?
Back to top Go down
WolfDK
WolfDK

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2010-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a turbo swap/upgrade if you have time   Help me with a turbo swap/upgrade if you have time EmptyWed May 12, 2010 4:40 pm

Sounds like a plan Very Happy

No objections from me, doesnt always have to be complicated.

While you are at it, install a new WG hose.

Have fun
Back to top Go down
badvlvo
badvlvo

Number of posts : 347

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a turbo swap/upgrade if you have time   Help me with a turbo swap/upgrade if you have time EmptyWed May 12, 2010 5:30 pm

It should be that simple, it's not rocket science. But we all know about that Irish bastard Murphy.
Back to top Go down
fivehundred

fivehundred

Number of posts : 207

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a turbo swap/upgrade if you have time   Help me with a turbo swap/upgrade if you have time EmptyFri May 14, 2010 2:06 am

You don't need to bend any of the lines. You clock both sections of the turbo relative to the waste gate housing and the 13C oil water and oil drain will bolt straight on. After that all you need to make is a bracket for the waste gate actuator. This is a 13C actuator on a 15G turbo but the principle is the same if you use another actuator. The bracket is actually part of the adjusting/tensioning setup for the 940s airco compressor. I think I moved the ear a bit.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

All the lines bolt straight on.

Back to top Go down
BrickBaller

BrickBaller

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a turbo swap/upgrade if you have time   Help me with a turbo swap/upgrade if you have time EmptyFri May 14, 2010 11:32 am

Sweet. Searched JYs yesterday no luck. Called V&S and they have a 15g but it will cost me $125 vs. $70 at PNP, but I don't have to remove it myself.

I wish I could afford one of those $600 rebuilt ones from what's-his-name on TB but it's going into a $200 car...
Back to top Go down
BrickBaller

BrickBaller

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a turbo swap/upgrade if you have time   Help me with a turbo swap/upgrade if you have time EmptyMon May 17, 2010 3:57 pm

Complication: 15g has two studs where there should be two holes. Studs proved to be impossible to extract even with heat and impact. Tried to drill them out, ended up making swiss cheese out of the material around the studs.

I think it will still work, but it looks atrocious so I'm going to see if I can weld up the holes and have them drilled proper. Might just farm it out to a machine shop - I don't really have the expertise to know how to weld cast iron properly. Henry said something about using a nickel filler...

Anyway they should be able to do it in under an hour and I don't mind dropping a couple more bucks to cover up my mistakes.
Back to top Go down
BrickBaller

BrickBaller

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a turbo swap/upgrade if you have time   Help me with a turbo swap/upgrade if you have time EmptyMon May 24, 2010 1:29 am

Okay the holdup now is the exhaust snail on the 15g is just barely two small to fit on the exhaust mani. I mean it's soooo close, but it won't hammer in (although it is close) so I'm thinking it's time to go thermal.

Tomorrow the manifold goes in the freezer, and the exhaust snail goes in the oven. Hopefully I can worm some time in to pick up the studs I need, else it all gets pushed back yet another day.

Of course if this works, it's really going to piss off the next person to try to undo all this... but it will never develop any exhaust leaks!
Back to top Go down
BrickBaller

BrickBaller

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a turbo swap/upgrade if you have time   Help me with a turbo swap/upgrade if you have time EmptySun May 30, 2010 11:59 pm

Done. Shower time before startup procedures commence, but the mechanical is all in line.

BTW if you use the old turbo as a model for clocking the exhaust snail, it doesn't come out right. Either that or I messed it up. I used an angle measure and a level and installed the new one in the exact same orientation (within a degree, maybe two) and the oil return line did not match up.

It was close though, just required some 'persuasion' or 'malletization' to coerce it into the right shape - I wasn't about to remove everything again, reclock it , redo the WG actuator, etc. It was good that I went this route, as a ton of coked up oil busted loose out of the pipe when I hit it.

Oh, and apparently I drained a good quart of coolant into the oilpan - it dripped out of the turbo coolant hose (thought I had it clamped pretty well) and managed to drip down the turbo and into the oil return line and straight into the pan. Almost overflowed my oil container - that would have been quite a mess.

I like your bracket, if my old 13c wasn't filled with 8K+ old oil (sludge) I would have used that one. Fortunately I now have a 13c bracket minus the actuator if I ever need to do this again. I'll post pics up later I'm too tired and too eager to test it out.

Oh and baking the exhaust snail and freezing the manifold worked perfectly! 1 hour at 500F/23F and they matched right up.

I would not recommend this for average do-it-yourself-ers. I consider myself rather experienced (clutch changes, trans swaps in the rain, engine swaps, head gaskets all no problem) and this was really pushing it for me.

Nothing was really that difficult, but the frustration level was way up there. I must have spent a good 5-6 hours making runs to the parts stores for a part here, a part there, another drill bit, etc. and getting those lines to meet up - ugh. I thought my method would work perfectly for clocking it, guess not. It was close though.

Although you don't have to bend any of the lines, a few of them got a slight bend put into them just so everything clears my bracket without rubbing.
Back to top Go down
BrickBaller

BrickBaller

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a turbo swap/upgrade if you have time   Help me with a turbo swap/upgrade if you have time EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 12:20 am

[QUOTE=BrickBaller;3222804]As promised,

before

after:

manifold before:

after: (it's a little ugly I forgot to take one more photo after I cleaned it up a little)

bling bling!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/QUOTE]

Back to top Go down
Shifted
Super Moderator
Shifted

Number of posts : 2515

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a turbo swap/upgrade if you have time   Help me with a turbo swap/upgrade if you have time EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 12:31 am

Flip the steering/brakes/ac and we're twins (nearly), nice job!

Clean all the way to the inside.

Back to top Go down
WindowsBreakerG4
Administrator

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2010-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a turbo swap/upgrade if you have time   Help me with a turbo swap/upgrade if you have time EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 3:12 pm

If that's a wagon, if you ever sell it let me know, I love that color!
Back to top Go down
BrickBaller

BrickBaller

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a turbo swap/upgrade if you have time   Help me with a turbo swap/upgrade if you have time EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 5:18 pm

It's for sale - check your PM
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a turbo swap/upgrade if you have time   Help me with a turbo swap/upgrade if you have time Empty

Back to top Go down

Help me with a turbo swap/upgrade if you have time
Page 1 of 1